Writing is hard

I never really had to question this idea before. But it's come to new light for me.

I have been struggling with my current WIP for more than three years now. Three whole years. I could have a published novel by now, if I would have gotten my butt into gear and got things done.

Several things have hindered this.

First, moving. I have moved three times in those three years. And while every move has been good for me and my life in general, it has wreaked havoc on a decent schedule for writing. I'm still working on that.

Second, I'm still working through learning about writing and about myself. I haven't done any editing on a project longer than a 2,000-word short story ever. In my entire life. So, it's a learning process. I have to figure out how to edit, how it works for me. And that's something that can't be taught. It must be discovered.

Third, I've spent more time dreaming about writing and being an author than putting the work into it. I'm not trying to sugar coat it or hide the fact that I've been lazy. I have. I own up to it. And you know what? I'm going to work on that.

I have a new goal for this year. 

I'm going to finish my book by the end of May. Like, edited and have it sent off to Beta readers while I work on a query letter. It's going to be hard. And I'm seriously going to have to work at it to make that deadline. Because I'm lazy, I told you. But also because I have a full-time job, and full-time weekends with the boyfriend and the kiddo. So busy. But I came to the conclusion yesterday that I wasn't doing enough to ensure the future I want for myself.

And so I'm going to work harder for that future. 

Maybe this is overly honest. And I may or may not be three o'clock in the morning as I write this. (Okay, it is.) But that shouldn't change the truth of the matter, right?

Got any goals you're working toward? Let me know in the comments.

Comments