The secret truth about world building

Ready for this?



Are you sure you want to know?



Really sure?



Okay. You asked for it.




The secret truth about world building is ... it's never done. Crazy right?

Is you might be able to tell, I'm world building again. And the sad truth that I'm only slowly coming to realize is: I'll never be done with it. There will always be more to learn. There will always be more to consider. It's an entire world. I don't even know everything about the real world, and I've lived there my entire life! (Twenty-six years, for those who are counting.)

I think there are some greats out there who have fantastic and well-rounded worlds. J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, even J.R.R. Martin and probably a whole lot more. These are people that have spent a lot of time thinking about the world.

But you know what? I bet there are still questions they have not considered. There are things they have never thought about and may not know the answers to. I'm sure they could think about it, and eventually give us an answer.

But then, that would be more world building, right?

It never ends ...

(What do you think? Am I alone in my never-ending quest to build my world?)

Comments