E-reader love

So, as I was typing in the title for this blogpost, another one tried to come in E(vil)-Books and their readers.

That reminded me that I was vehemently against e-readers at one point. I didn't get them. I thought them a clunky way to read books. (You mean I have to click through an entire menu to look back at the cover?!?!) I worried they might be the end of traditional print books. It made me sad.

And now I am the very proud owner of a Kindle Touch.
Me and my Kindle, displaying a library book

Here are five reasons I am in love with my new e-reader:


  • I have a very portable way to read books. 
    • Yes, I was the girl carrying around hardbacks in her purse for the moment that she a free moment and can pull it out. I was a reporter for a year, so I had a lot of down time when I was waiting for an interview or for court to start. I needed that or I may have gone insane with the waiting. Now, my purse is quite a bit lighter and my shoulder thanks me for it. Plus, I don't have to worry about finishing one book and not having another one to start.
  • I read books on it that I wouldn't read otherwise.
    • The first book I bought was one recommended to me by a friend. It was a self-published book that I wouldn't have enjoyed reading on my computer. The second book was the Amazon deal of the day: Lament by Maggie Steifvater. Something I probably wouldn't have picked up, although I really like her writing and own four other books by her. Also, I put on a .pdf of a book I'm supposed to be reviewing that has been very slow going before now. It allows me to read some things that I wouldn't have normally.
  • I read books on it that I REALLY wouldn't have read otherwise.
    • (Yeah, I know.) Two words: Library books. I must admit, although I love books, I don't really like reading books I get from the library. I love the crisp pages of a new book, not the yellow stained things that I generally get at the library. Don't get me wrong, I love libraries and everything they are. And I hope they stick around for a long time. I just feel weird not knowing who else has held the book I'm holding. But with my Kindle, I can check out e-books in a snap, and I don't have the same problems I normally have with library books. And, I only check out library books that I kind of want to read, but wouldn't spend money on first. 
  • It's a TOUCH.
    • One of the things that really annoyed me with the original and keyboard Kindles (and the original Nook) is that you have to continually click through menus. I watched someone reading, experienced it for myself. I'm just too impatient of a person to wait. So having a Kindle Touch has allowed me that versatility of a screen while keeping the paper-like e-ink that I knew I wanted. (I would argue that if you get an e-reader, you get one with e-ink.) So, it's a best of both worlds moment for me.
  • It won't replace books.
    • I know that doesn't seem like a plus, but it is for me. I really hate thinking that traditional books with paper are going out of style. And I don't think they will. Not for me. And not for anyone. I've noticed that traditionally published books end up with e-book prices between the hardback and the paperback price. This makes me think that publishers and therefore authors are still making some decent money on e-books, and thus, people are still going to buying hardbacks. Because really, readers are going to want to show off their libraries in person, not digitally. Right?
So there you go. What do you think of my list? Would you add anything? Do you have an e-reader? What do you love about it? Let me know!

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

Comments