A very sad day

I was originally going to talk about a reading challenge my lovely CP is hosting and some awards, but I needed to hijack my own blog post to talk about a couple other things. I will talk about those things on Monday, so look forward to them. *Insert apologetic look here*

I had a really rough night last night. First off, I read this article in the Rolling Stones.

A candlelight vigil in Minneapolis for the victims of gay bullying.
© Richard Tsong-Taatarii/Minneapolis Star Tribune/ZUMApress.com
This is an amazing article written by Sabrina Rubin Erdely is about a town in Minnesota that has created a war zone in their school district over homosexuality politics. After what an expert called a "suicide cluser" of several children committing suicide, many who were wrapped up in anti-gay bullying, the whole place is a mess. The school board, trying to appease the major Christian advocates that dominate the area, created a policy that left openly gay kids at a complete risk for torture. Teachers did nothing, and the suicides started.

Seriously. If you haven't already read this article, you need to. But be prepared to cry.

After I finished that article, I finished reading THE BOOK THEIF. If you haven't read that either, you need to. It's a fantastic book. I don't understand how it didn't take the Prinz Award, because it was seriously one of the best things I've read. And I was balling. I was a mess when I got done with it.

Anyway, many of you can probably see why I couldn't sleep after reading those two things.

On a positive note, I finished the first draft of my 2011 NaNoWriMo manuscript, so I can cross that off my February goals. That's right.

So tell me – what have you read recently that made you want to cry? Have you read either the article or THE BOOK THEIF? If so, what did you think about them? Thanks for sharing!

Happy Friday!

Comments