Do what you love

First off, a big hello to my fellow campaigners! I am so excited to be sharing the next couple months with you. I look forward to getting to know you better, share together, and maybe learn a lot. This is going to be an adventure.

Now on to today's topic. I had this great realization at work yesterday: Doing what you love makes all the difference.

For those of you who don't know, I spent the last year working as a reporter in a small town in Wyoming. While I love writing, I hated the job. I didn't get a long with my boss very well, the small-town life left me bored and without any friends my age and, most of all, I couldn't stomach being a reporter. I could do the job. I could do the job well, actually, but I didn't enjoy it.

Flash forward to this year, where I've been working for a month as a copy editor at a larger paper in Montana. While yes, there is way more to do in this town and I love the people I work with, the biggest perk is me loving what I do. Even when it's tough and a page doesn't want to come together (the largest part of my job is laying out everything on a page, so that newspapers are easier for you to read and understand what goes with what) I love what I'm doing.

Yeah, there have been a couple of times where I didn't want to go to work and wanted to do something else. There have been times where trying to fill a hole or get something to fit into a spot that's actually too small makes me want to pull out my hair, but I still enjoy it. And at the end of the night, I'm proud of what I've accomplished.

That's what writing is like for me. I bitch and moan about it, I complain to my CP, and I just plain don't like it sometimes. But for all the, I still love doing this. I get a thrill every time I figure out a plot hole or get a character's backstory just right. I find the utmost pleasure in the physical feeling of fingers flying on a keyboard. I live for the feeling of losing myself in my story to the point that it makes me cry.

This is why I know I was born to be a writer. Whether that will translate to published is a completely different question, but one that I'm sure will be ferreted out by determination and hard work – both of which I'm fully prepared to do.

When did you know you were meant to be a writer? What are the things you love about it? Are you planning on pursuing publishing? Let me know.

Comments