Where to write is important

A week ago I started a new job. Two days ago I moved into my new place. Until Saturday, I was living in one of my coworker's homes. This (and the stress of a new job) kept me from writing.

When I lived in Cody, I did the bulk of my writing at this little coffee shop called Rawhide Coffee. Can you guess from the name that I lived in Wyoming? I hope so. I chose a shop rather than my own house because I am easily distracted by things at my home. Like books and the TV. Sometimes I even go so far as to clean the house to avoid a particularly troublesome section.

At a coffee shop, however, I only have what I bring with me – mainly, my computer and headphones for my music. Sure, on occasion I get distracted by other patrons at the store, and at the end because all of the baristas became my close friends. But most of the time I could find a quiet table in the back and slam away on my keyboard.

While I like the idea of working from home, I'll need a bigger desk and probably a second bedroom to house an office for me to really get some work done. I like that I get to spread out on a coffee shop table. I can not spread out on my desk. One day I will get one of those giant wrap-around desks that have oodles of room. But, I need to be in a more stable position for that to happen. 

That works for me, but it may not work for you. I know my critique partner Sarah isn't all that productive at coffee shops. She does much better in the comfort of her own home at her desk (although how she spends hours in her uncomfortable-looking chair, I don't know). She likes the comfort of being able to control her environment and is less distracted in a place she knows well.

It's important to have a place where you can write easily and productively. It may be in a shop, in your home or maybe a favorite table out in a park. It doesn't matter where it is, as long as it works for you.

I haven't found my coffee shop yet, which is why I've been a complete and utter slacker when it comes to writing. I'm trying to settle into a rhythm now that I'm in my house, though. I'll give you an update on Friday to let you know if I continue to be a slacker.

Where do you guys write? Can you write anywhere? Do you have a particular place you love? Let me know in the comments.

Comments