Dreaming

First off, I have to say that I am a terrible blogger. So much for that summer goal, right? I'm really going to try to keep on top of this and post every Monday, Wednesday, Friday from now on, okay? Okay.

Second, I want to talk about dreaming. That thing you do when you sleep.  I have these really vivid dreams. Sometimes they are so real, I wake up all confused. Especially when I have nightmares about work. In the dream, I work hard to get everything done by deadline. When I wake up, I realize I haven't actually finished anything like I thought I had. Those mornings are pretty depressing.

I also have really weird dreams. Dreams that don't make any sense at all. (I'm walking down the hall of my middle school trying to complete a scavenger hunt, then I turn the corner and there's this corridor that looks like it was taken from the middle ages complete with torches.) I like these dreams, because I wake up and feel amused. Like I was watching TV all night. Only, you know, really weird TV.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has tried to write a story based on a dream. Most of the time, it doesn't come out pretty. And that's because I always make the mistake of trying to copy the dream. But dreams are weird, and most of the time don't make sense. That doesn't work well when most of the time published things are suppose to be understandable.

That doesn't mean dreams can't be used for inspiration. Feelings are easily pulled from dream worlds. But instead of writing a story where a person is naked in school (not saying you can't here – use with discretion) write a story about how it feels to be laughed at and ridiculed.

I had a better example from a dream I had earlier this week, but I can't remember what it was about anymore. So there is another lesson. Dreams are as slippery as eels. If you want to use something when you wake up, write it down immediately. Or else it may be gone.

So, have you guys ever written any stories from dreams or gotten a great idea while you were sleeping? Please tell me I'm not alone here.

Comments