THE LIPSTICK LAWS Review

I know I promised this on Friday, but work happens. I have a very unpredictable day job. And I fail. I'm sorry.

THE LIPSTICK LAWS by Amy Holder

From Goodreads: At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?
 
Paperback, 240 pages
Published April 4th 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published March 17th 2011)
ISBN
0547363060 (ISBN13: 9780547363066)


This is a cute story about a girl, April, who doesn't have any friends at the beginning of the year (and other than her friend who moved away, we aren't really sure why). She's taken under wing by Britney, the school's resident popular by sharing lip gloss, and enters the world of the Lipstick Laws.

The story is mostly predictable. Think Mean Girls, but better. The absolute best part about this book is April's voice, which was something I didn't have in the novel I read directly before this one. It was very refreshing and gave me a perfect picture of April. She has a way of speaking and thinking, and you get that as a reader.

The themes in THE LIPSTICK LAWS are ones that I see a lot of people struggle with. In fact, I still struggle with them today after college. The idea is friendship, to be wanted, and, yes, to be popular. There still is that drive. But most, it's the idea of acceptance – of yourself and others. There is even some work with hypocrisy in there, which I think is something a lot of people forget is in all of us. You can denounce something and do it too.

All in all, I think THE LIPSTICK LAWS is a light and enjoyable read. April is easy to relate to, but a few of the other characters fall a little flat. But in the end, I'd recommend it.

Comments