THE GODDESS TEST Review

THE GODDESS TEST by Aimée Carter:


FROM GOODREADS: It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
Paperback, 304 pages
Published April 19th 2011 by Harlequin Teen


How I got it: I received a galley copy of this book from the publisher. This in no way sways by opinion of the novel.

Cover: I knew about this book before I'd seen the cover, but I think it matches the story. The font was such a fantastic choice that fits the overall Greek theme. I like that it's a good mixture of the classic idea of a white dress and sandals with a more modern look. Plus, that girl is gorgeous. I mean, look at that face. Stunning.


Plot: I was really excited to read this book. I've always been fairly curious about mythology and the idea of the intricate and weird stories they came up with (I mean really, Athena sprouted from Zeus' head? It's a little odd). It's basically a modern take on the Hades/Persephone myth. I think the way Carter weaved in the original story of Persephone with the new updated one. For the most part, I was pulled into the story. There were some twists I saw coming and some I didn't. I'm still feeling a little unsure of the ending and one of the final twists, but I was compelled to read to the end. I really wanted to know what was going to happen.


Characters: The characters were mostly all unique from each other, but maybe a little stiff at times. There were several occasions where I felt like I didn't understand why the characters made certain decisions, making me think that I didn't know the characters as well as I wanted to. Henry is aloof for the first part of the novel, but I did enjoy him as a character and love interest. He was the character whose story I felt the most connected to. Kate was okay, but got a little on my nerves sometimes. One of the hardest parts for me was keeping her two servants? maids? straight. I still can't tell you which one is which, although one was nice and one wasn't. I'm not sure why I have trouble with that.


Writing: I admit I read this book a while before writing this review, so the writing isn't that fresh in my mind. I do know that there were definitely a few parts that struck me as written with fantastic language and really stood out. However, there were some parts that I do remember when the language struck me as odd.


Themes: Kate has to pass seven tests. It's important for her to pass, or something bad happens to Henry. There is a lot on the line and a lot of responsibility involved. Dealing with that responsibility and choices are a large part of the book. Another major theme has to do with fate. I'm not sure if I like how the fate theme played out.


Overall: Overall this was a fairly enjoyable read and I give it a three out of five star rating. It kept me reading (I think I read it in just a few days) but there were some things that rubbed me the wrong way. I think it had a lot to do with my personal taste, however, and I recommend that you read the book. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Comments