The importance of being excited (WIP Wednesday)

Stats:


  • Chapters edited: 2 out of 41
  • Word count: 102,000

I have reached a breakthrough this last week.

A couple of weeks ago, I hit a low with my WIP. I was surly and depressed and considering shelving it. Everything seemed so hard, and the things that needed fixing seemed overwhelming and I wondered if I would ever finish. It also doesn't help that shiny new project seems so much better than old cranky project. (You all know that feeling, right?)

But then something brilliant happened. I participated in Maggie Stiefvater's Critique Partner Love Connection. I exchanged my first three chapters (rough as they were) with a few people, got some good feedback and some not so much my style. I met a couple people who I think I'm going to continue working with. (I'm not naming names yet.)

But most importantly? This experience have given me a renewed excitement about my book. Other people seemed to like it for the most part. Sure there are thing that need fixing, and yes it's going to take me quite a while to fix them. But what I lost sight of is that even though it's hard, I'm making my book better and I'll be one step closer to my dream.

Big revelation.

So, how are your projects going? Did you learn anything new this week?

Comments